From the Phillips Glass Plate Negatives Collection on Flickr:
These negatives are from a collection of glass plate negatives which was acquired by the Museum in the 1980s and appears to have been made by a Sydney based photographic studio from around 1890 through to 1920. The images are on both whole and half plate negatives and many of the larger images are of a high quality.
The subjects covered by the images relate strongly to a number of the Museum’s collecting fields. Leisure and the performing arts are represented by a group of unusual boxing and fencing photographs, as well as sailing and portrait photos. One of these is a rare composite negative intended for producing Christmas greeting cards.
The numerous images of locations and buildings around Sydney and New South Wales depict the social and economic enterprise of the period. While some are of more commonly photographed subjects, such as the Botanical Gardens and Sydney Town Hall, others are of subjects such as logging and the foundations for the Queen Victoria Building.
There is another less formal set of negatives included in this collection that show community history in regional New South Wales. At some time around 1918 the photographer either lived in, or visited, Walcha and Crookwell where they took photographs of the shops and streets of these rural towns. They also captured local events and activities such as wood chopping at the Crookwell Spring Show, rare images of Peace Day celebrations 1918, snow falling in 1912 and children dressed as birds.
It is possible that Raymond Phillips father, Arthur Phillips, was the photographer. Raymond Phillips was a rotograver and for many years was responsible for the Australian Women’s Weekly cover. The slides were found in a deal box in the garage. Arthur was a gold and silver merchant. In 1920 the family moved from Willoughby to Latimer Road, Bellevue Hill. A bachelor, Raymond Phillips remained in the house after his parents’ death.
Gift of the Estate of Raymond W Phillips, 2008